Saturday, August 10, 2013

Math in the News: Playing with Pentagonal Tilings

This last weekend, I attended MathFest 2013, which is held by the Mathematical Association of America in Hartford, Connecticut. I gave a talk on magic squares, and got to see many other fascinating speakers. Many of my future posts will be content I learned at this convention.

One of the speakers was Frank Morgan, who talked about tiling the plane with different polygons, primarily pentagons. During the presentation, he mentioned that he wrote a news article about it in the Huffington Post. Since the presentation was so interesting, I thought this article would be a perfect "Math in the News" post.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/frank-morgan/bees-honeycomb-mathematics_b_1318258.html

No comments:

Post a Comment