Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pi, Lie, Same Thing Part 3: Tau 2000

This week, I wanted to take a break from the hardcore “Cool Math Stuff” and talk to you about something a little different. Since we have just been talking about the Pi vs Tau argument, I wanted to bring up an event that I am hosting that involves Tau.
On May 6, 2012, I will be establishing a new world record by reciting from memory 2000 digits of Tau. This event will be a fundraiser for the Bethel Public Library. The event will also include magic, raffles, contests, and more.
If you would like to find out more about this event and see how you can help out, please go to www.Tau2000.com.
Bonus: When I was teaching at Westport Minds in Motion this past Saturday, I heard a puzzle that isn’t super mathematical, but does involve some mathematical logic and reasoning. It was a really cool one, so I thought I would share it.
You are in your basement and there are three light switches. Each switch controls a bulb upstairs, but you do not know which switch controls which bulb. You also cannot see any of the bulbs, or have any mean of finding out if the bulb is on or off (helpers, really well trained dogs, face time, etc.). You are also feeling kind of lazy, and will only go up the stairs once. With all of this in mind, how do you figure out which switch controls which bulb.
I will post the answer to this puzzle in about a month for anybody who wants to try to figure it out, which I definitely suggest trying.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog you've got here, Ethan. I'm especially amused to see tau on a blog named COOL Math Stuff.

    Best of luck to you on May 6! If you want a ready-made handout about tau to give to people then, Michael Cavers has posted one at spikedmath.com/fact-005.html

    Joseph Lindenberg
    sites.google.com/site/taubeforeitwascool

    ReplyDelete